The Texas Legislature established the Texas Appraiser Licensing & Certification Board (TALCB) in order to safeguard consumers in matters of real property appraisal services. TALCB shares staff members and resources with the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC). Together TREC and TALCB oversee real estate brokerage, real property appraisals, inspections, home warranties, and timeshare opportunities. The agency also provides education and licensing services, as well as regulation and enforcement of state and federal laws and requirements that govern real property appraisals. Industry veteran and licensed real estate broker and attorney, Douglas E. Oldmixon is the Executive Director of TREC and the Commissioner of TALCB.
- Administration and Management Services (AMS) - manages key initiatives of the agency, including education, licensing, and industry regulation programs. The division includes the TREC Executive Director/ TALCB Commissioner, General Counsel to TREC, General Counsel to TALCB, as well as government and public affairs personnel.
- Reception and Communication Services (RCS) - is the agency’s centralized customer service division. Division team members receive and respond to telephone, e-mail, and walk-in inquiries.
- Education and Licensing Services (ELS) - ensures education and experience requirements are satisfied for the various license types. Division team members verify qualifications have been met before the agency issues a license or registration to real estate brokers or salespersons, appraisers, inspectors, and easement or right-of-way registrants. Education team members review and approve proprietary schools that provide Mandatory Continuing Education (MCE) and manage the approval of MCE and courses and instructors. Licensing team members review and process applications, renewals, information changes, and histories for all license types.
- TREC Standards and Enforcement Services (TREC SES) - administers TREC's enforcement program. TREC SES team members carry out the Commission’s mission to protect consumers by enforcing The Real Estate License Act, Rules of the Commission, Chapter 1102 of the Texas Occupations Code regarding Real Estate Inspectors, the Texas Timeshare Act, and the Residential Service Company Act. TREC SES staff also implements standards and reviews applications for licensure and determinations of moral character to assess the honesty, integrity, and trustworthiness of applicants, and oversee the sanction of license holders who have violated various legal requirements. For more information, visit the Rules and Laws section of the site.
- TALCB Standards and Enforcement Services (TALCB SES) - administers the TALCB’s enforcement program. The division ensures compliance with federal law under the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act of 1989 as amended by the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010. TALCB SES also enforces state law and investigates violations. For more information about the Texas Appraiser Licensing and Certification Act and more, visit the Rules section of the site.
- Staff and Support Services (SSS) - performs all of the accounting, purchasing, mail and financial payment functions, human resources administration, and property management for the agency.
- Information and Technology Services (ITS) - develops and maintains the technical infrastructure that ultimately supports the agency’s business requirements. The ITS Division manages the technical infrastructure for application development, network management, application and technical support, website services, and records management. ITS team members follow standards adopted by the Texas Department of Information Resources (DIR) and utilize industry best practices to ensure utility, reliability and security.