Certified General Appraiser - Potential License Holder
A Certified General Appraiser is a person licensed by TALCB to perform real property appraisals. A Certified General Appraiser is authorized to appraise all types of real property without regard to complexity or transaction value for federally related transactions and non-federally related transactions.
- Citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien
- 18 years of age or older
- Provide 3,000 hours of acceptable and verifiable appraisal experience acquired over a minimum of 18 months of which a minimum of 1,500 hours must be non-residential real property appraisal experience
- Meet TALCB's qualifications for honesty, trustworthiness, and integrity
College Education Requirements
In order to become a Certified General Appraiser in Texas you must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher.
Becoming a Certified General Appraiser
- Meet the qualifications.
- In order to become a Certified General Appraiser you need to complete 300 hours of qualifying appraisal education outlined by the Appraiser Qualifications Board (AQB) and TALCB.
- File your application to become a Certified General Appraiser using My License Online Services. If you don’t already have a username and password for our Online Services register now. If you have done business with TALCB or TREC online in the past, log in now. Include proof of meeting educational requirements. Documents may be submitted via email or faxed: 512-936-3899.
- After the education and experience requirements have been met you will be notified of your eligibility to sit for the examination. You may then access the exam candidate handbook for instructions on how to register to take the exam.
- Get your fingerprints taken and pass your background check. You are required by law to have fingerprints on file with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) so a background check can be performed. If you have previously submitted fingerprints for a TALCB or TREC license, no additional fingerprints are required. Fingerprints on file for other agencies will not be accepted. A license will not issue if the background check has not been passed. Expect a delay if you are notified of an investigation into your background history.
- All requirements must be satisfied within one year of the application being received by TALCB.
- You will be notified to submit the National Registry fee once all requirements are successfully completed.