Filing a Complaint
The vast majority of appraisers are honest and knowledgeable professionals. Thousands of home sales and appraisals happen monthly in Texas and in most cases all parties are treated fairly. However, if you feel there has been a violation of the TALCB Act (law), rules, or the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP), you have the right to file a complaint. If you are unsure about what constitutes a complaint you can review our article on common USPAP violations.
We take your complaint seriously. Our staff will respond to your complaint in a timely manner and periodically notify you about the status of the complaint. We have created an Enforcement Primer that provides an overview of TALCB Standards and Enforcement Services in addition to a Complaint Overview Handbook that outlines complaint requirements, process and resolution. Please contact us with any questions.
TALCB has the authority to regulate professional service providers in Texas, including:
- Appraiser Trainees
- Licensed Residential Appraisers
- Certified Residential Appraisers
- Certified General Appraisers
- Appraiser Continuing Education Providers
- Temporary Non-Resident Appraiser Registrations
- Appraisal Management Companies
How to File a Complaint
If you would like to file complaint concerning a real estate appraiser, an appraisal management company, or any unlicensed activity, follow the steps below:
- Our complaint form is available online for your convenience.
- Fill out the form completely.
- Include copies of documents related to the transaction (such as the appraisal, MLS sales data, engagement letters, settlement statement, appraisal reviews).
- Sign the form. *The agency does not accept anonymous complaints
- Email the complaint form and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the attachments are too large for email transmission, please call 512-936-3621 for additional options.
As your advocate in all matters of appraisal in Texas, we take the investigation of complaints seriously. In addition, our staff and investigators make every effort to keep you informed throughout the process and respond to your complaint in a timely manner. The chart below outlines the typical process of how a complaint is reviewed and managed. A more detailed version of the complaint process is also available for your convenience.